Tuesday, March 16, 2010

MYSTERY BLUE SPRAY PAINT REVEALED ~ SUNGLASSES NOT INCLUDED

I have been on a quest to find a good outdoor spray paint in a pretty cottage style color.

I came across one that I haven't tried before. It called to me...Tina, try me...I'm new, I'm sooooo smooth, I have twice more the paint than those other cans.

So I bought it. However, before I use it to paint this....


.....and this....


.....as well as this.....


.....with the mystery blue spray paint, first I'm testing it on on this. Found it at Ross in the last chance aisle for $4.99.....


.....after a good cleaning and a light sanding, I gave it a coat of Kilz Primer/Sealer....


.....and then one coat of the mystery blue spray paint....


....hmmmm.....maybe it will dry a bit less fluorescent...

....24 hours later....


....maybe not

Before we proceed, a word of caution. Always wear these......


....to avoid these......


I should also mention that I did paint a few other things while I was at it.....


.....The small flower tin was a GW find for $1.00 and the wired cup and saucer was Mashalls, $4.99.

Oh, and did I mention that the chicken wire thingy with the bird on top is a .....


.....twin? How else do you think I managed to get any of the before photos! ha! I know, I know, me bad blogger :(

The mystery blue spray paint in question is .....


RUST-OLEUM EXTRA COVER X2 in Satin Aqua. I didn't realize that X2 meant twice as bright as the sun.

At this point I'm thinking I need to tone down a bit...yes? Sooooo I mix these together (1 part paint to 3 parts glaze)....


....apply some on.....


....wipe it off.....


....and repeat the process until I'm satisified with how it looks. At this point it needs a bit more glazing.

Here is a comparison of the first coat of glazing vs it's natural brightness


I think the one on the left is glazed...no, the one on the right....now wait...it's DEFINITELY the one on the right, I think.....

Mrs Bluebird Birdhouse says it's the one on the right. She points out that birds have much keener eyesight than us 2-legged creatures. I don't care at this point. It needs more glazing.


I did finish one thing.....first grab the sunglasses cause here comes the before....


.....the after......


.....I don't hate it ha!

All the while...I hear something mocking me....


ahhh, it's that priss Da Queen of Da House....watching me through the screen,
laughing at me...


I wonder what she'd look like blue ;)

I have to say, it's a nice spray paint. Goes on thick and very smooth. Just wish they would have left the fluorescent light out of the color.

It's not a bad color. Actually, I really like it. Just not right for this project or the wicker chairs.

In fact....

....the whole while I was working with it...

I couldn't get adirondack chairs out of my head.....

Adirondack chairs and the beach....


and loads of them along the a manicured lawn....



Alas, no beach house, no manicured lawn, the paint saga continues ;)

I'm linking up with:

The wonderful Cheri @ Its So Very Cheri


The fabulous Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage


The wonderful Linda @ Coastal Charm
 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/

Cheers!

33 comments:

Donna said...

Tina,
Thanks for sharing your painting adventure. You are making me want to go buy some spray paint (though maybe not with that much "sparkle" :)

D

stefanie said...

i hate that, the lid is always the perfect shade then you paint and ...ooohhh, thats really bright, but I really like that color alot...good luck.

The Green Pea said...

oh! I am going to try that color blue. I really like it. It looks really nice to me. Thank you for sharing with us. sandi

Jackie said...

Your kitty is Soooooooo pretty! The painting adventure turned out beautiful!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

I guess I'm just a big chicken when it comes to painting my chairs a bright aqua color. I'm such a white and cream colored person. But, I like the color on the bird cages.
Oh the decisions we must make. Oh my!

hugs
Sissie

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Love that shade... after the tone down. The birdcages came out so pretty and the tin planter with the white on it looks wonderful!
Debbie

Susan said...

Hi Tina...You are so humorous. Your writing style really is great...very funny. Love the pretty blue! Great job! Sincerely, Susan

Connie said...

Tina, I have to tell you that I loved it from the very beginning with the bright paint, sugar! It's gorgeous! And also, I've meant to tell you for a very long time that the photo of you, mom and daughter on your side bar...well, your mom reminds me of a glamorous older movie star with that pose. Actually, she's beautiful, chickee! Be sure and tell her that, won't you?
xoxo,
Connie

Its So Very Cheri said...

LOVIN' it--oooh!

I am starting to put some ideas together for a all out Funnest Blog on the Block Blog Warming Party but I want to hear any ideas you have. I am thinking I may need an amazing give-a-way as part of it and maybe a free advertising spot on my blog for a month of FREE ADVERTISING...just a bunch of ideas running through my head but I want to hear your ideas too.

Cheri

Sandy @ My Shabby Streamside Studio said...

You are so great, and so funny & entertaining!

Great tutorial, I'll remember those products.

xoxoo
Sandy

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I think that color is fabulous...maybe not for wicker? But gorgeous!

Paula ~ castleandcottagesigns said...

Too funny Tina! You were smart to test it on other items...me, I would of just sprayed away, then cried. lol:)
Happy St. Pats Day!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Ha! Well, thankfully you did test it on these smaller items before you hit the wicker! It's not a bad color ~ in fact, I think it's pretty popular right now. Love the wire cloches you found!

Its So Very Cheri said...

Would you be interested in doing a tutorial on my blog for my Thursday event--I would love to have you teach how to do the broken china mosaics. I actually know how to do it but I had someone request it for a tutorial. I don;t mind doing it but I would need to be on the look out for china pieces.

LEt me know I am booking up mid April through May.

Cheri cheri@itssoverycheri.com
www.itssovery cheri.com

Anonymous said...

Oh, gosh, I know exactly what you mean. Look at my post from this past Sunday. I had painted my shutters Jamaican Sea. Pretty color, but SCREAMING BOLD. I put 2 coats of white wash on it before I was satisfied. Good luck.

Mari said...

WOW THANKS SOO MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR LATEST PROJECTS, I HAVE TO SAY I LOVE THE PAINT COLOR!! WELL SINCE YOU ADDED THE GLAZE....LOL!!! :p

grannyann said...

I am a blue person and I love the color. I must ask what are the bird cages for? The chicken wire was a puzzle.

Morgan//Nuts and Bows said...

These turned out so great! Thanks so much for your sweet comment at Meet Virginia it just made my day!!

~Morgan

http://meetvirginiaandroo.blogspot.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MeetVirginiaShop

Tracy F. said...

Love the blue! I saw your wire bird cloche at an upscale antique mall yesterday for $40! The exact same one! I knew that place was a rip-off!

Connie in Hartwood said...

I know what you mean about the quest for the perfect shade of aqua blue. After much trial and error, I found one for my basement work island that's perfect. So perfect, in fact, that I'm having trouble thinking of painting things any other color. Take a look in this blog post of mine. If you like the color, I'll send you the formula.
... Connie

http://hartwoodroses.blogspot.com/2010/02/back-to-workshop-how-i-made-rolling.html

Angie Holden said...

Thanks for the wonderful post!! :) yep too flourescent -- but those bird cage things -- GORGEOUS! Nice find!! Keep searching and let us know what you come up with!

Katy said...

oh I love your blog, and the birdies are cute!

Diane @ InMyOwnStyle said...

Hi Tina -

I like the way the glaze looks on the pieces you re-did. It softens the colorand brings out the texture of the flower pattern.

Tootsie said...

ya know...for inside I would say NO WAY to that color...but for outside!!!!!....how cheerful! I just love paint of any kind...especially the spray variety...it's a make over in a can!

I {heart} Nap Time said...

very cute! That blue is my favorite right now!

Stephenie from Decorating Addiction said...

Ha! Very cute post. I get spray paint fingers all the time. I need to learn to wear the gloves. You really improved it with the glaze! I can't wait to see what you come up with for the chair!

Unknown said...

Ah yes, the perils of spray paint. Love it & hate it at the same time. Nothing better for wicker, if you can find the right color.

The glaze looks wonderful. It's a beautiful effect.

Thanks for dropping by today! Glad to see you!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

I'm lovin' your BLUE bird cages...awesome deal at $4.99! I get the paint too...if I could just remember to put the gloves on:) Thanks for coming to my PAR-TAY!

Blessings,
Linda

Sherri said...

Love the color! Great finds and make overs.

The Smith Hotel said...

Good idea on trying it on smaller items! I would have just jumped in and then regretted it too!

Jody

The Stylish House said...

Tina,
You have four fabulous posts to my lowly one this past week, and it was a giveaway to boot! I have to go spray paint something, anything! Lovely, shade of blue.
Cathy

Angie said...

I like the color but it is pretty HELLO LOOK AT ME...lol. I have never found a blue spray paint that I like. You found some neat stuff!

Hugs ~ Angie

Jeanne said...

Great blog!



Related Posts with Thumbnails