Friday, September 24, 2010

WOOD FRAME MAKEOVERS ~ SILVER LEAF, RUB N BUFF, SILVER SPRAY PAINT

Hello! So lovely of you stop by! So glad you decided to visit with me! Are you ready for fall?! Moi, not really. We've been enjoying a lovely Indian Summer here in the SF Peninsula. I've been fluttering about seeing all the wonderful project you've been working on! Fabulous!

What have I been up to? Well, I've been working on a number of smaller projects over the past month, from sparkly hearts and wreaths to redoing my wood frames. It's the frames we are going to talk about today.

A few months back I posted that I wanted to redo my living room. I am so over the gaudy gold. I know, I know, some of you out there love it; and I've loved it too....but I am so over it and so into the beauty of silver.

Click here to view the original post of the redo plans (it will open in new window so you won't lose this page).



I did a mixture of things, I applied silver leaf to one, Rub n Buff on another and spray painted the rest with metallic silver spray paint.

The Before



The After



So much fresher, yes?!

This frame I applied Mona Lisa Silver Leaf....





Before



After



I used Rub n Buff Silver Leaf on this frame....

Before



After



I used Rust O'leum Speciality Metallic in Silver on these frames....



Before...



After



Before



After



Mirror before





Mirror after (the detail really pops!)



No before on this one



not bad, but after seeing it next to the silver leaf frame, I'm thinking I need to silver leaf it! ha!



While I was at it, I also sprayed my buffet lamps...



Of course I forgot the before, but they were like this...



PREP WORK:

Prep work was fairly simple. For the spray painting, I covered the face with painters tape and cleaned dirt/dust off the frames and sprayed away!


(that round mirror was spray painted white, more on "it" in future post!)

The silver leafing prep was to clean the frame, apply the sizing, apply the silver leaf sheets, then apply a brush on sealer.

On the Rub n Buff the only prep was cleaning the dust/dirt before applying, then after I sealed it with a paint on sealer that I also use for the silver leaf frame.

In my next post I'll show you a transformation that I'm so thrilled with! I know, I'm a tease! ha!

I'll be around stalking your latest!

Wishing you and yours much love and happiness!

This post linked with the follow fabulous hosts:

My Romantic Home ~ Show n Tell

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating ~ Flaunt It Friday

Life in the Fun Lane ~ Fresh Coat Fridays

Metamorphosis Mondays at Between Naps On The Porch

Cheers!

17 comments:

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Your pictures look so lovely in the silvers. I love the silver leaf, it's so rich looking.

I'd say you are on a silver spray painting roll and nothing is safe within the reach of your nozzle! LOL.

hugs
Sissie

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

O.M.Goshhh, Sissie! That is soooo true! hahahahaha!

hugssss!
tina

Lynn said...

I love it, they are so much brighter and just pop with so much color!

Mari said...

HELLO,

I LOVE THEY WAY THEY TURNED OUT :) THEY DO LOOK FRESH AND BRIGHT :)
CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HOW THE REST OF YOUR PROJECTS TURNED OUT!!!

XOX~MARI

Susan said...

Oh Tina! So nice to see your post again! Loved what you did with the frames. The silver looks so nice. Great job! Susan

NanaDiana said...

Tina- You did a great job on those frames. What a lot of work...but soooo worth it. I really like the buffet lamps too-what a change a little paint makes. Fun to see this post- Hugs- Diana

Anne Fannie said...

You did a great job on those frames! I love the before and after pictures!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Definitely brightens everything up. I'm a silver girl! Even with jewelry, I prefer silver or white gold. Great little makeovers. have a super Saturday! :) Tammy

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Tina, Your "new" silver frames look so pretty and fresh! I recently gold leafed a mirror for a powder room, and it's a little trickier than it looks! You did a great job. Can't wait to see what is next! Linda

NicNacManiac said...

It really is amazing what a little color can do to update and really show off the fabulous detail in the frames...great job!
Happy weekend xOxO

Sue said...

Tina, Giving these frames and the lamps a much lighter paint treatment really freshens them up to make them more contemporary and up-to-date. They look great. I need to try a leafing project. Wish Hobby Lobby was open today...
Love what you did!
~ Sue

Ana said...

Hi Tina,
Fabulous, fresh new look! The frames and lamps look great. Can't wait to see what more you have in store. Have a wonderful new week.

Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana

Pansy Cottage Girl said...

Very pretty. I like the look of different frames in the same finish.

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

Hi Tina,
Thanks for the nice words on my blue & white table. You have no idea how much it means to me coming from you. I love and admire your mosaic work so much. You are truly an inspiration to me! Have a happy day....Sue

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Your frames look so nice, Tina! I have never worked with silver or gold leaf. I am thinking seriously about painting the mirror in my living room which is gold right now. Most of the wood furnishings in the room are white so the gold sort of overpowers all the softness of the white. It is a predictament for certain. The frame is quite ornate and whatever I decide to do, it will have to be the right thing.

Blessings,
Sandi

Anonymous said...

Great post. Been searching for the right silver at hardware stores and they have been no help. I have been able to locate the product you used because of your post, thank you.

Your frames looking amazing.



Related Posts with Thumbnails