Wednesday, November 10, 2010

HOW TO ~ BOOK PAGE SHIMMERING WREATH USING PUNCH OUT FLORETTES

Hello you! I hope this post finds you and your loved ones safe and warm!

As I promised, here is the step-by-step tutorial for creating a shimmering book page wreath using punch out florettes!

These wreaths are dazzling! There is so much to love about this type of wreath (plus you are recycling ha!)! I could go on for ages about how stunning these are, but maybe you should just make one...yes?!


Supplies needed:

Wreath form (any shape you desire)
Paper Punch (florette) I used a 3.5" punch
Book Pages (approximately 150)
Glue gun & glue sticks(low temp saves burned fingers)
Glitter* - any type works
Glue or glitter glue* (If you want a very subtle edge of glitter, then glitter glue alone will be fine.
Sewing Pins

*If you want a very subtle edge of glitter, than glitter glue alone will be fine.

Considerations before you begin:

You will need to dry the glittered edge florettes before you apply them onto the stryo wreath form; therefore, you will need a place to dry the florettes where smearing and smuging won't be a problem.


I use sewing pins and a styrofoam board to dry my florettes. I keep the boards vertical and the pins keep the florette from resting against the board.

The glitter gets EVERYWHERE.

Using newspaper or plastic sheeting to cover rugs/floors/carpeting will be very useful in clean up.

CREATING FLORETTS:

Tear full pages out of book paying special attention to both sides of the pages.

Punch out florettes from book pages; you should be able to get two (2) florettes per page.


You should yield two (2) florettes per page



Add glitter to the edges of florettes by dipping the edge of the florette in the glue (or glitter glue)


then roll the wet edge in the glitter



Sorry, I forgot to take the photos when I was glitzing up the florettes with silver!

Allow the florette edges to dry (approximately 3-6 hrs.)


Cover wreath form with book pages. Tear out a full page, then tear the page into smaller strips. (I use a ruler to guide the tear of each strip)



Take care to glue the ends together on the SAME side of the wreath


Slightly overlap each subsequent strip




Again, be sure to glue the strip on the same side of the wreath.

The side with glued edges to be covered by the florettes


This is the non-glued seams side that will be the back of the finished wreath.



Applying Florettes


Gently fold florette in half WITHOUT creasing the folded edge.

I use the end of a pen to accomplish this. So very high-tech! ha!


Then fold once more taking care not to crease the fold



Next, crush the pointed tip and apply to wreath form with a small amount of glue from your glue gun.




Apply the glue to the crushed tip and set in place.

Continue applying florettes until covered.




At this point, you can apply as many as you like. This 12" wreath form needed about 250 florettes



This 12" wreath form, 120 florettes




The fewer florettes the more visible the words will be.

After having made several, I prefer to lay the wreath form flat on the table and apply the floretttes to the inside and outter edge of the wreath form first. The table acts as my guide to prevent me from scrunching the florette against it.


This way the wreath will be flat against the wall when you hang it.


Last step! Create a hanger by gluing a strip of decorative ribbon and a sewing pin.



I like the bright collored tip on the pin, makes it easier to see when you are trying to hang it!

There you have it! You can use any color glitter, you can make one for the holidays, add decorative ribbon and bows, the possibilities are endless!

Using a 12" styro wreath form with 3.5" florettes will give you a 16" wreath.

Here are a few others I have made...





Have fun with it! Please do let me know when you make one! I'd love to see it!

Thanks so much for stopping by! It is always a thrill for me to read your wonderful comments!

I'm linking up with these fabulous host! Be sure to view the other fabulous posts!

Centsational Girl





Frugalicious Friday @




Cheers!



18 comments:

{oc cottage} said...

AWESOME! Coolest thing I have ever seen! EEEEK! I'm all aflutter!

m ^..^

My Shabby Streamside Studio said...

Nice, and technically very professional! Thanks for sharing that big tutorial.

Bisous,

Sandy @ My Shabby Streamside Studio
http://myshabbystreamsidestudio.blogspot.com/

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Tina...

Ohhh my goodness...your wreaths are gorgeous!!! I couldn't decide which color of glitter wreath was my favorite! I would love to try my hand at one of these. You did a fabulous job with the tutorial! Thank you sooo much, my friend! I stand in AWE!!!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Karena said...

Tina so unusual and creative, I love it!

Come and enter my New Giveaway from Empress of the Eye. You will love it!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

NanaDiana said...

Tina-Thank you SOO much for sharing your technique. Duh...I did not even know you could get a 3.5" flower punch. Gotta look for one of those now. Hugs- Diana

Gaia said...

Holy moly! Your wreaths are BEAUtiful! Nothing i like better than a detailed tutorial! Thanks!

~Gaia~

debi said...

So beautiful!!! I love the heart shaped one! and the kissing ball you made. You have so much patience! I am trying out a lazy man's version of the ball today, we will see how it turns out.....LOL!

Mari said...

HELLO TINA,

OMG!!! THESE ARE ALL SOOOOO BEAUTIFUL!! THANKS SOOOOO MUCH FOR THE TUTORIAL :)

Shantel said...

This is so beautiful...I could picture old sheet music for a music teacher wreath! This is on my 'to do' list. Thank you for sharing!
Shantel @
www.itsapricelesslife.yahoo.com

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Tina, that was the most complete tutorial I have ever seen! I had no idea these paper wreaths were this labor intensive! It is gorgeous and I am going to book mark this!

Carol

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Tina, You have been very busy! The wreaths are all really beautiful. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Hugs, Sherry

Connie said...

I plan on making one for SOMEWHERE in this house, sugar. It's fantastic!!
xoxo,
Connie

Denise said...

First of all, this is going to be a long comment. (Bare with me) I LOVE the wreath and thank you for the wonderful Tutorial. Second, I think we have been seperated at birth. GLITTER, Mosaics, Tassles, some of my FAVS.
Third, I used to roam blogs and I found the tutorial on your Paper Mache Reindeer and saved it in my To do Craft file..Got three Reindeer last year on Clearance, have them out and my daughter asks me why do I want to put them out. Well I say..I have this wonderful idea I have saved to put beads all over them and she said oh..I SWEAR, I will send you a pic if you don't believe. I think fate has lined up and brought us together thru blogland. I am new to this, but so GLAD I found your blog.
Thanks for letting me write the novel.
Denise (Come visit sometime)
New Follower.

Rosie Goins said...

Wonderful tut. I would love to try my hand at this, but me, glue and glitter....don't see it happening. I will just have to admire your gorgeous wreaths.

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

Wow... those wreaths are seriously gorgeous and you are seriously talented. I am very glad to have found your blog!

Lori said...

Absolutely fantastic!!
I'm almost through this semester at school and love to make a Valentine one with a pink edge! Ever so greatful for your generosity in sharing this beautiful design, how thoughtful! Lori

Sue Pinner said...

Wonderful wreath.....love it

Jodie said...

Beautiful! You are very talented!



Related Posts with Thumbnails